Pet Spay & Neuter
At the Veterinary Clinic of Lubbock, our primary goal is to help pets live long, happy, healthy lives. Encouraging our clients to have their pets spayed/neutered is one way we accomplish this goal.
Just as with every other service we offer, we’ll place your pet’s safety at the forefront during surgeries. That’s why we use a laser for spay and neuter procedures, which results in less bleeding and swelling as well as faster healing. Consider the following to learn more about spaying and neutering for dogs and cats:
Benefits of Spaying and Neutering
There are many benefits to having your pet spayed/neutered, including:
- Spaying eliminates heat cycles and associated undesirable behaviors.
- Spaying decreases the risk of ovarian cancers and mammary gland tumors.
- Neutering reduces marking, aggression, and other unwanted behaviors.
- Neutering decreases risk of testicular cancer and prostate problems.
- Spaying/neutering reduces the excess pet population and number of unwanted pets that are euthanized.
- Spaying/neutering helps more shelter pets find loving homes.
- Spaying/neutering reduces pets’ desire to roam.
When To Spay or Neuter Your Dog or Cat
According to the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), dogs and cats can be spayed/neutered as young as 8 weeks of age, as long as they’re healthy. However, the exact age range recommendation varies for each breed. We typically discuss this with pet owners during their pets’ first wellness exam. If your puppy/kitten hasn’t yet had a comprehensive wellness exam, you can schedule an appointment here.
Pet Weight Gain After Being Spayed or Neutered
Some pets do gain weight after being spayed or neutered due to a decrease in metabolism. If this is the case for your pet, we recommend that you create additional exercise opportunities for them. This can include more frequent walks for your dog, more vertical space for your cat, and more interactive toys for both. Of course, you’ll want to monitor their diet and caloric intake as well.
Schedule a Visit with the Veterinary Clinic of Lubbock
If your pet is in need of veterinary care or due for their semi-annual examination, please contact our team for assistance. Some of the other services we offer include pet wellness care, vaccinations, surgical services, dentistry, exotic pet care, pet allergies, parvovirus vaccination, parasite prevention, and tick protection. We look forward to seeing you and your pet soon!